All Work and No Play Has Consequences
If you let it, owning your own business can lead to an all work and no play lifestyle. Taking on every role can leave you exhausted and too stressed to enjoy your life. Without a work-life balance, you may end up losing it all.
As a small business owner myself, I can tell you that you can’t get back the years that you lost working around the clock. It took many years for me figure this out. Finally, I realized that the business can grow and prosper even though I am not working 24/7. My epiphany happened when I decided to work from home. Working from home will not solve every small business owner’s work-life balance issues, but I’ve got some advice that may help you achieve this.
Best Work-Life Balance Advice
One of the very best ways to achieve balance is to figure out the best time during your day that you are most productive and schedule your day around this. Give yourself permission to be unconventional about your work hours. If you work best in the morning, start your day early and cut yourself off when you’ve reached your saturation point. This also applies to you night owls.
Tips to Help Achieve a Work-Life Balance
- Delegate, Delegate and Delegate. I can’t emphasize this enough. Don’t do it all yourself. Not only will this stunt your growth, but know your strengths and delegate your weaknesses. Consider outsourcing options like hiring a virtual assistant, using Fiverr or other freelancer sites.
- Take vacations and holidays off. Give yourself a break. You’ll be stronger and energized when you return. Use your outsourcing resources or employees to pick up the slack when you are away.
- Pay attention to your health. If you don’t take care of yourself, then you cannot be productive. Take the time during the day to exercise, take a walk, meet a friend for lunch or whatever takes you away from your work for an hour or so.
- Hire an employee or two. If your cash flow can handle it, hire an employee or two so you can take on more business and not do it all yourself. Best advice here is to find someone who is committed and ambitious and willing to work as if they were an owner.
- Flip the switch at the end of the day. Get into the habit of ending your work day at a particular time to enjoy the rest of your day with your family or friends. The work will still be there tomorrow.
Your Takeaway Tip
Following these simple tips will get you on the right track to a work-life balance. Remember, your time is precious and you can’t get back the time that you spent working with no play. The key to work-life balance is planning and scheduling your time to achieve the optimum productivity for your small business. Do you find yourself suffering from an all work no play lifestyle? Or, perhaps you have found the perfect solution to achieve work-life balance. Either way, please weigh-in with your advice and help others. Leave a comment and let us know about your own work-life balance strategies.
Want to ensure a healthy cash flow and learn how to solidify your small business? Click below to discover tips on improving your cash flow.